Yngwie-question

Inisfail
Inisfail
12/05/2003 2:08 pm
Hi!

I saw "Play Loud" instruction-videos with Yngwie Malmsteen where he showed how he filed down the frets on his guitar so that they looked like waves on the fretboard. By wich reason, I don't know, but has anyone of you tried to file down you guitar in order to enhance the sound, make the movement over the fretboard easier or by any other reason?

Please let me know!

Cya!
/Anders Lorén
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/05/2003 5:21 pm
I had a nasty accident once - I was changing the strings in the kitchen my little sister (5 at the time) came in and accidentally knocked my guitar off the table. The neck somehow hit a part of a chair and chipped a bit. I sanded down the chipped part. Didn't affect the sound, but gave me a helluva scare.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/05/2003 7:31 pm
Yeah, fret issues can be scary. I don't mess around with that.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
kronborg
kronborg
12/05/2003 8:27 pm
Agree. Don't touch it, unless you don't like your guitar!
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that didn't want to screw to save it's species..
# 4
sambob
sambob
12/05/2003 8:42 pm
I have a slight scallop (thats what its called) on all of my guitars. Since I play with a very low action too, it makes fretting, vibrato, etc incredibly easy. Especially in the higher frets it makes playing much easier. I've played a 36 fret guitar from Conklin once, and it would have been unplayable past say, the 20th fret if it weren't for the scallop (and even then it wasn't as tiny as it could have been, past 25 it was fretted with a whole tone scale).
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/05/2003 9:22 pm
It might make playing a bit easier, but that's something that's better left to people with a lot of experience. This isn't something you want to do over the weekend because you're bored.

Quite honestly I'm not a good enough of a guitar player to justify getting that done to my guitar and I don't personally know anyone who is. You might be, I don't know. If you're not sure it's better to be safe than broke, if you are then go for it and let us all know how it goes. But don't do it yourself.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
sambob
sambob
12/06/2003 3:01 pm
He uses 6100s.

I don't see why he shouldn't at least TRY a scalloped neck. Its kind of like the 7 string issue. People say, don't try a 7 string guitar until you've mastered a 6 string. But Rusty Cooley makes the good point that you can NEVER master a 6 string. You'd might as well do all that you can so that you can play how you want.

Give it a try, all you need is a file and some sand paper (and probably some linseed oil too). Buy a cheap used guitar and give it a try.
# 7
JSV
JSV
12/06/2003 3:10 pm
Originally posted by sambob
...I have a slight scallop (thats what its called) on all of my guitars. Since I play with a very low action too,...

The ONLY way, sambob my brother!

Custom Scalloped Necks are one of the specialties of my guitar business. All of my own guitars are scalloped. I usually do the rosewood necks from 12-up, and on the maple the whole neck. Mine are usually Medium-deep though, and I've been playing scalloped necks for so long I can't feel as comfortable on a "flat" fretboard any more.

I agree with the other posts; that it's something better left to players w/experience, but not necessarily. It does take some time to get used to. It feels fairly comfortable the FIRST time, but then once you try to play everything on it, every day you play, you can get disoriented when you're new at it. Lots of cats that get used to it say there's nothing better.

If you DO DECIDE to have it done, MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN it's done by a QUALIFIED pro. I've had clients bring me necks they "attempted" to scallop themselves, and only one or two were even worth trying to "clean-up". You'll destroy your neck, period.

Here's a pic' I've posted on this board before:

Wallpaper size of that pic' on the following page:
http://www.jsvcolorfast.com/extras.htm

ENJOY!

~JSV
# 8
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/06/2003 9:28 pm
Scalloping the fretboard is cool. I was thinking this was about filing down the actual frets. That's a while different issue there.
-A.H.
# 9
sambob
sambob
12/06/2003 10:33 pm
Cool JSV. Feel like sharing any 'secrets' as one might say? I've done about 13 guitars for myself and various people now, I feel like I've got the whole thing down by now, but I'm always looking to improve.

Right now I just file the middle of each fret (althoguh I usually start a little closer to the fret on the first 7 or so) down a bit with a 1/4" round. Then I sand starting with 80 grit paper, then 120, then 180, then 220. Then I usually just rub some linseed oil into the wood.

I'm wondering though, I see guys like Joe Stump play live..and there maple necks still have that real bright shiney like a new guitar would have. Is that some kind of stain? I'm always a little disappointed that my guitars seem to lose that.
# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/06/2003 11:04 pm
Getting the frets scalloped past the 12th fret wouldn't do any harm.It wont effect your rhythm.Play a scalloped neck first and see how you like it.
I played a scalloped neck bass and didn't like it all that much...mabey it was just the setup.
If you go for it,make sure to have it done by some one with experience.

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
Inisfail
Inisfail
12/12/2003 4:13 pm
I'm glad for your answers, and yes, I ment filing BETWEEN the frets, nothing else.. My bad english..

Well, I guess I'll contact a pro after all if i descides to scallop my guitar.

Thanx
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.