Pickup questions

Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/05/2003 7:05 am
I'm learning about pickups now, kinda embarassing how little I know.

What is DC Resistance?

"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/06/2003 8:13 pm
Most meters apply a small DC current to the test leads that you connect to the component being tested. The meter can determine what the resistance of the component is by measuring the amount of voltage across the test leads.

R = E/I

Where:
R = resistance
E = voltage
I = current

Because the coils in pickups have a property called inductance, they display different values of impedance at different frequencies. Resistance is a DC-only characteristic - with AC, you have to deal with impedance, specified at a particular frequency. Since not all manufacturers specify the pickup impedance at the same frequencies, it becomes simpler to compare the DC resistance value. The coil is only one factor in determining what a pickup will sound like, but generally, a higher DC resistance indicates a larger coil, which usually gives higher output.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/07/2003 8:48 pm
I understood about one sentance of that and somehow it still makes sense.

Just another sign I need some coffee, I suppose.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/08/2003 10:01 am
The higher the resistance the hotter the pickup and the less dynamics.
Old stock fender strat pups had between 5.5-6.2k.Vintage humbuckers about 11-12k,High output heavymetal pickups up to like 21k or so.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.