Practice

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/10/2007 5:53 pm
Originally Posted by: WeslabaAlright, just the way you said it led me to believe that you would only pick up a guitar and play every few weeks. Now knowing that you record for a job, that changes things quite a bit.

yeah, I forget sometimes that not everybody does this for a living.
When you do this 24/7 it starts to feel like work sometimes. Hence the reason I put the guitar down and don't touch it for weeks at a time.
I was talking to Jon a while back (the owner of the site) and mentioned that sometimes I can't even sign on to Guitar Tricks for several weeks cause it's just makes me feel sick to even talk about guitar...I love guitar and this place and everything and wouldn't give it up for the world... but I go through spurts where I just need a vacation or something.
Same with guitar. I've gotta put it down and leave it alone or I feel I'm not improving.

Just as a side note: I once put my guitar and amp in hock in Toronto for a year and a half. Didn't play at all. Funny thing was though, after all that time listening to other guitat players and studying well done recordings like Rush Hemishpheres, Supertramp Crime of the Century, Grace Jones Slave to the Rythm, Rush 2112, Saga Twighlight etc... I suddenly had a totally new understanding of what it took to be a studio guitar player.
I learned so much just listening instead of wasting all my time practicing that I'd actually improved without even touching the guitar.

Now I do it on a regular basis. I'll take a really well made album and totally study it for months without touching the guitar. It not only teaches you how the guitar was done, but it teaches you all the studio techniques you need to make the guitar sound good in relation to the other instruments.
# 1
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/11/2007 9:23 pm
Very good point. :rolleyes: I always try to do my fair share of listening, but I always wear out everything I have, and get stranded without anything new to listen to. :mad: Although, I always have some room for a little Derek Trucks no matter what time it is. :D
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.