View post (Practice)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/10/2007 4:39 am
Originally Posted by: WeslabaNot to sound like a turd, but that's kind of not the attitude you should have. Victor Wooten has been playing bass since age 2, which would add up to a full 40 years of experience. He still practices every day, and doesn't settle for being anything less than the best. He's always trying to improve on what he knows, and learn even more than he does now. There are a lot of people like that (Derek Trucks, Joe Bonamassa, etc...) and again, not to direct negativity towards you, but I doubt that anyone on this site, or any internet guitar site could show up any of those three guys. If they practice, why shouldn't we? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying don't practice. If that's what you need, go for it.
I've got my equipment on 24/7 and do recording and loops about 16 hours a day so practicing for me is too much like work. It depends on the situation too. If I'm playing live, I'll practice the full set every night and then go through it once more on the day of the gig. If I'm recording a song, I'll practice a part a coupla dozen times until I get it right. If I'm doing a lesson for guitar tricks, I redo it as many times as I need to until I get it perfect.

But the thought of sitting down and doing scales or practicing after being a player for about 30 years of playing makes me wanna cringe. There's no point in it unless I'm trying to learn something new. All the stuff I already know is there whenever I need it so all I gotta do is warm up a bit and it comes back to me.

When I'm not recording, it's like taking a vacation. I'll go for 3 weeks or more without touching the guitar cause I get burned out. However, I'm always working on something to do with recording, like mixing, mastering, playing synth etc...