View post (What equipment do u all own ?)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/04/2003 7:16 pm
Yeah man, the 424 was a good starting place (post Revox A77) and the D1200 is sweet.

I totally agree about the all in one DAWs as a better place to start than the whole PC thing. It took me a while to iron out the PC bumps however after I got it all set up and sounding good it was well worth it. Took me about 6 hours to hammer out my latency problems! A lot of people bash the all in one DAWs however for portability and convenience they just cant be beet ! Triger recording.....wonderful for the home studio !

I started off in digital land with a D1600. that was OK but the interface was crap. I was good from the perspective of the honest musician as it often forced me do things until I got them in one take. Read into that what you will !!! The punch in / out was OK but occasionally would do unpredictable things.

So I decided that I wanted to be able view and edit multiple scrub tracks and SONAR seemed like the best way forward plus it had some very cool midi integration. So I swapped the D1600 for a D1200 and a focusrite Pre (well nearly....) and off we go !

Those Yamaha machines look really cool. I was tempted to go for one of the higher end Roland VSs or a DX32 or a Yammy but figured that as I don’t need a lot of simultaneous inputs the D1200 would do the job (the flyin’ fades are cool though !!!).

I figure that the rate limiting step with my kit is now me so now it is a question of logging the hours !

Me and the missus may be moving back to the UK in the next six months or so and who knows, maybe acoustics will feature on out list of must haves when sorting out a house (nice to dream!).

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS