View post (Mic'd or Direct?)

View thread

JSV
JSV
12/02/2003 12:51 pm
schmange, my good man, I certainly don't want to sound argumentative; so please excuse me if that's the case.
I wouldn't fully DISagree with much of what you've offered here. I DID mention that 'when necessary' even a hardcore "mic'er" like me agrees to "direct-track" options.
schmange
...With Mic'd, you're locking yourself into a final sound, have to contend with the quality and type of microphone and the experience of the engineer...amp noise..mic placement..room noise etc..

A good example is if one is to be "locked-into" a final sound just because they mic'd the track, then I wouldn't suggest this as the best option. My reference to how important it is for one's "experience" could certainly apply to many cats here who DON'T have MUCH experience.

If you'd allow me to offer a polite rebutal to you VERY VALID difference of opinion (which I DO respect)...

Mic'ing aguitar track should be something that guitar players learn to do for even a BETTER understanding of what's to be achieved/expected when going direct. You(schmange) may have this experience & manipulate a direct signal during mixdown better than a 'newbie' recording artist, if you get my drift?

Mic'ing a guitar amp (even a not-so-decent amp) should NOT be that difficult for most, so that little bit of experience could improve your hearing responses to natural acoustic reproduction. It's NOT expensive either. MANY of the GREAT guitar players STILL love simple mic's for guitar rigs. The SM57 is VERY common for this, even in places where we can afford $3000 mic's.

If a lot of you cats are REALLY bent-hip on "modeling", "plug-ins", and the whole software route, POWER to ya', and best of luck if it works for ya'.

I've been biz' partners & worked with some REAL hip cats who even have the experience/degrees in the study of 'physics' in audio engineering. My closest friend/audio partner, ran THE MOST advanced audio for video post production facility in Boston. A long-time recording partner of mine (Joe Pet/drummer of Joe Perry Project) runs a new state of the art facility in Boston & has credits for audio mix/production of Billboard hits (and I used to run his last studio). So I'm sure you understand where much of my 'school of thought' comes from, since I've learned what's properly accepted amoungst my circle of friends & business associates.

There are good emulator/simulator products, but the physics of the actual gear DOES NOT EXIST in an emulator or plug-in; and I'm sure you cats know that it takes as much time & knowledge (or more) to defeat many things like comb-filtering from "double-mic'ing" an amp as it does to learn a simple way to place a mic on a speaker.

I respect YOUR point of view & your experience, schmange, and there is NO ONE WAY to do ANYTHING right. If your throwin' together some fun stuff' for mp3's, don't sweat-it if it's not a big deal, but learning the source of the craft can make your DIRECT tracking much better.

Schmange, when my friend & I co-write this "Mic'ing or Direct" article for the new section of our website, It may be very beneficial to us if we could also include YOUR input as well. If you'd kindly accept our formal invitation to participate, please e-mail me so we can hook-up. I'd appreciate it brother!
[email]jsv@jsvcolorfast.com[/email]

I believe people reading can benefit from BOTH perspectives...

...but I STILL hope you try the mic! lol!

~JSV