song making

Robbie10000
Robbie10000
01/04/2001 4:58 am
ok like everyone i can play songs, you know everyone elses songs.. metallica, nirvana, anything that already exhists. but that gets old.. i wanna make up my own.. but i cant. any help? i like the rock n roll music and the metal but i just cant come up with my own.. any replys are much help!!!! peace
# 1
JoeyLibby
JoeyLibby
01/04/2001 7:21 pm
I usually just make up a little rythyme riff and play around with it till it sounds good. Then i get my friend that plays lead to come up with some lead for it, then we write some lyrics for it :)
One The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless Want to change the world
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
01/05/2001 4:40 am
The art of improvisation requires confidence, creativity, and an outmost intuitive grasp for musical flow. Todevelop these musical attributes, you'll want to prepare yourself for as many musical situations as possible. (In other words, don't be afraid to take a few chances along the way, and learn to rely on your ears as to what constitutes a good song, just like when you're naturally listening to one of your favorites. The best advice that I could give you is to try and get in touch with your natural abilitiesw, exactly whatever it is that pushes you to the next level of creativity.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 3
Rat520
Rat520
01/08/2001 3:51 am
i suggest that you look into getting theory lessons, it sounds boring but once you know what goes on in key centers etc it makes song writing alot easier.
"You know, we do more than just sing and dance. We've got a brain, too."
Backstreet Boys
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/26/2001 3:17 am
Their's a million ways to write a song. Me, I ususally start playing something these days, not a fully formed idea, but atleast 50% done. But I can't say "I'm going to write a song now" and sit down and do it, rather songs just pop out of me when I'm in the mood.
It all started with trying how two chords go together, then adding a third and so on until I had a progression I liked. Just mess around with stuff and eventually you'll come across something. As time goes on this will come more naturally.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
playmyfender
playmyfender
03/14/2001 10:13 am
Yo you could always try the opposite approach. Have a crack at writing some lyrics that mean sumin to you as a person.
Once you've done that try to build a bit of a melody based around those lyrics. Once you got a bit of a melody going then try adding the odd chord. You can do it! Go-on go compose!
SiLVER says... go...play, you'll be famous one day!
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
03/14/2001 4:47 pm
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
Their's a million ways to write a song. Me, I ususally start playing something these days, not a fully formed idea, but atleast 50% done. But I can't say "I'm going to write a song now" and sit down and do it, rather songs just pop out of me when I'm in the mood.
It all started with trying how two chords go together, then adding a third and so on until I had a progression I liked. Just mess around with stuff and eventually you'll come across something. As time goes on this will come more naturally.

Yeah, as the years progress we realize there really isnt a perfect spot or a perfect time in the day when a song idea hits us, we can't really predict when we'll be in the right mood. Sure we all get that urge to sit down and write the ultimate pop song, or the ultimate composition, but sometimes by doing so we put too much pressure on ourselves and end up fighting against the grain. The one one think ive always tried not to do is discard my original idea for the sake of finishing before a deadline, you can't rush a good idea..For me, my best material comes out when I'm not even thinking about, and sometimes its done piece by piece and other times its done in one take, (with the solo and everything.) But when it comes to songwriting, we can't fool ourselves, we know what sounds good, and what type of song we have in mind, and most of the time we won't settle for anything less...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 7
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/20/2001 8:54 pm
what I do most of the time, is just play around with some barre chords, or power chords, and then come up with a lead part. That works pretty good. And always remember, out of frustration and anger comes beauty. Remember than in your songmaking process.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.