View post (Grinding pick)

View thread

JSV
JSV
11/24/2003 1:41 pm
I can be extremely particular about which products I use. I've been using the same pick for at least 10 years now. It's hard to find. I get them by the gross & it's rare to see them 'in stock' at a music store.

It's similar to the Dunlop Jazz 3's (a lot of you cats use those, right?) but I found it to be a bit more stiff, less bendable. The material maintains it's "grip" surface when it's worn-in; in other words, it doesn't get slippery.

482R1.14 TORTEX BLACK GOLD JAZZ

On the bottom, you'll see 3 in their natural state before they're filed down.
The TOP 3 show how they look after I file them w/a special grinding wheel. I've been using the same exact method of filing to this special "razor-point" ever since I've first used these picks.
The one on the upper-left has been to a recording session a' la' Shred-du-Soleil.
I have a few made from quarters that are exactly like these, but the metal provides some great pick-attack & I use the side of it against the string for some most unusual effects.

I NEVER play with anything else & I never use them until they're filed. They look wAcKy, but MANY of my students, clients/customers, have switched to this pick after trying it. They even have me file these tips on them.

Once the tip is worn-down they're of no use to me, so I go through a LOT of 'em. I usually play quite strong w/my fretting hand, and I pick very heavy most of the time. It kind-of goes against the norm' because I use nothing but .008's and all of my necks are scalloped.
(Get this: I've even done recordings where we could hear the sound of my pick coming over the mic's!)

Has anyone else here ever used this "Black-Gold" pick??

Did I think ANYONE would even give 2-sh*ts about this information I've just shared??

~JSV