View post (Here's a Riff)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
11/23/2003 3:37 pm
Cool. :) I'm not trying to change your way of playing or anything, just so were clear on that. If your having problems with your pick getting tied up when doing (2 note a string) pentatonics, that's a problem in your technique and I suggest working on correcting that. Hammer-ons (produce a different sound too) will get you through it, but remedying that problem will in turn make your picking hand more proficient. And the more proficient your picking hand is, the better and faster you can become.

Speed comes easier when you have good dexterity, so build your dexterity first. You don't want to be a guy a few years down the road saying, "I've been playing for 3 years and I can't seem to get any faster on my playing, and if I try it's always sloppy". Then they get a huge let down because everyone tells them to go back to playing at a really slow tempo. This is because their dexterity sucks in comparison to there quickness. I'm not saying re-think your playing, but don't throw a problem to the side because there's a shortcut. You'll regret it.

If you think 2 note per string scale runs are a pain, wait til you start doing string skipping. ;) It only gets harder brah, learn the basics first then everything will go alot smoother.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.