View post (Professional Songwriting)

View thread

JSV
JSV
11/21/2003 9:37 am
In one way or another, you ALL make a valid point. Fact is; it's a very, very, complicated process to explain in a forum like this. People spend many years in [this business] "learning the game" (if you will) and STILL don't completely understand the whole process.

-It's NOT impossible to sell a song if you're a 'nobody'; that's entirely true. -It's NOT any form of a DREAM JOB as those who haven't worked in music full-time for at least 10-15 years may think; that's entirely true.

I have people "in my life", let's say, that are very, very, very, close to myself/friends/family (I'll leave it at that), and I know first-hand of the methods of tide which make the bulk of the entertainment industry function (from some/or/one of the biggest agencies in the business).

-Sell a song here-n-there if you're an 'unknown'... sure it's certainly POSSIBLE.
-Make you're living WITHOUT having any form of an "IN", or having a reputable agent, or knowing which channels (professionaly 'political') you're expected to follow/implement in order to gain the proper respect for those "behind the desk" to spend their time & risk [their own] jobs/reputations/carrers in timely legal negotiations with... NOT likely.

Sorry if I got a little "wordy", lol! Please don't take me wrong my brothers. I'm AGREEing with most of you! But the ebb-n-flow of the currents which run the tides of the biggest incomes in this business (supplying wealthy full time occupations), are very deep, and very woven.

It's just that when one "sees the sh*T", one desires so desperately to share the truth for the aiding of service to his/her fellow brothers. In SOME respects; honesty can be as much a burden as a virtue.

....so I'll be working on my bulls**t act real soon!

~JSV