View post (Can I Shred?)

View thread

JSV
JSV
11/19/2003 7:13 pm
Obvoiusly there's a youngster/newbie here, attempting to acquire enough 'chops to display. Thanx' for sharing,but there's some very good advice offered:
...good potential but you need to work on your precision and basics. Only play what you can play well, especially for other people to judge...

...Let your primary goal be accuracy & precision , speed will come naturaly by time...

...work on your basics and master some slow stuff first...

The idea that you have to play violently fast-n-furious to be "good" has become a poisoning infiltrator of today's younger guitar players.

If you work on what's really important like, clarity in your expression, sustaining notes, clear melodic lines, well intonated vibrato and such; you'll see how soon you start receiving "respect" from other players/listeners.

There's potential there (for what little I heard), your heart's in the right place, and you have my applause & admiration that you're practicing. You'll be good enough to play a lot of things in the future, Just don't let your desire to play fast hinder your ability to play well.

One (important) reason I can play very fast, and very accurate,
is that I took the time to PRACTICE SLoooooowww...

GOOD LUCK BRO'! I WISH YOU THE BEST!

~JSV