Need Help with strap thingy

SoulStealer7
SoulStealer7
11/18/2003 1:00 pm
my strap thing on the body of my guitar near the neck slides right out of the hole and I need to know the best way to fix it. put glue in the hole ? or What?:confused:
# 1
sithgt6
sithgt6
11/18/2003 3:56 pm
The strap peg, I assume the screw has stripped out the wood?

To do this right - it's not a quick fix, you need to go and get some wood putty (local home improvement store) and fill the hole as best you can, just keep pushing it into the hole until you can't get one more dab in there. Then wait - it will need to set-up -- once the waiting is over, carefully screw the peg back on.

D>
# 2
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/18/2003 4:34 pm
Another fix is to get a wood dowel, some carpenter's glue and a drill. The strap peg hole is probably about 1/8" to 1/4". Basically, you'll have to:

[list=1]
  • Measure the hole and buy a wood dowel from your local hardware store (it'll cost like $2 at most) that is exactly the same size or slightly bigger than your peg hole.

• If you get one that's slightly bigger, you'll need to drill out the hole; you may need to drill anyways to clean it out.

• Stick the dowel in the hole and mark the length that you need.

• Take it out, cut the dowel off at that point, then apply carpenter's glue all around the dowel. It's vital that you use carpenter's glue (the yellow stuff), it's the best adhesive when gluing wood to wood; the resulting bond will then be stronger than the original wood.

• Push the piece of dowel with glue on it into the hole.

• Wait for 24 hours.

• Drill a small pilot hole for the strap peg screw.

• Insert strap peg and screw.

• Jump up and down while wearing your guitar to test the fix.

• Don't blame me if you couldn't wait 24 hours and the peg comes loose and your Ibanez loses its neck.

• [/list=1]

I had to do this to my friend's bass on both strap pegs. It worked fine, and is still holding together after about a year or so, so this fix should do it for you.
    ... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
    # 3
    SoulStealer7
    SoulStealer7
    11/19/2003 11:07 am
    thanks guys that sould do it. :) I didnt know what to do till now :P Thanx
    # 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.