Lack of Motivation

TheDirt
TheDirt
11/14/2003 10:29 pm
Well, I just noticed something quite startling. I've played guitar for maybe 10 minutes in the past two weeks, tops. I don't feel inclined to even pick it up anymore. I feel as if I've reached a major plateau. I'm almost bored with guitar. This is crazy, because for the past 5+ years, music (guitar especially) has been my life. What can I do to get the desire to play again? Has anyone that's pretty good at guitar just quit because they got bored?
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 1
Ego
Ego
11/14/2003 10:31 pm
Here you go, this should pull you out of the rut:

http://www.station185.com/kronoson/kronosonic/papers/Help.pdf

Lots more where that came from
http://kronosonic.com

[Edited by Ego on 11-14-2003 at 05:04 PM]
# 2
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
11/15/2003 12:03 am
Sounds familiar, I had the same thing 2 years ago. I cant remember how I dealt with it, though. Just try to remeber what you most love about playing the guitar. Another think you might think of is that it does not make much sense to leave something you have done for 5+ years, so you should probably just wait for this phase to go away and even sometimes force yourself to play for half an hour or so and I bet you'll soon get your excitement back.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
11/15/2003 1:15 am
I hardly play guitar at all anymore, but it doesnt bother me too much. Ive just got into different things. I think, or at least hope its like riding a bike and Ill be able to pick it up again in the future! The irony is that when I love guitar I had crap equipment, but now I have a massive marshall and I trade Gibsons Im not that into guitar itself! :(
# 4
Evo
Evo
11/15/2003 1:18 am
Sometimes when I feel I can't be bothered to play I decide I'm just gonna do 10 mins of exercise but end up playing for ages.

Remember why you play guitar in the first place coz it sounds cool. I presume you're not bored with music in general. Play your favourite song on your guitar and realise how cool that is and how good it sounds n feels.

Buy a new gadget like a pedal or sumthing...
# 5
TheDirt
TheDirt
11/15/2003 1:30 am
Just a slump, I'll come out of it... I have been playing more pool than usual lately, though. Pool and guitar are my two main hobbies, and I guess right now guitar's taking a temporary backseat. Thanks for the advice, guys (especially Ego's pdf).
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 6
saalruchy
saalruchy
02/17/2020 12:26 am

hey bro, so get you, this is what happened to me with my piano. i analysed it and am commited not to let it happen to my guitar, there where 2 reasons

1) when i had babyish piano i was much more into it, once i got a good one i lost intrese. what i believe it comes from, is that when you have your cheap one, you are motivate and have what to wait for, but once you got the good expensive one, its like you reached the top of the mountain, and its like, what now?

2)start learning something new, when you stop and play over and over the same few chords and the same strum, no wonder you get bored. Always challenge yourself to something new, something you couldnt do yesterday. it keeps you young, fresh and motivated!

good luck for you and everyone with this, i hope it helped!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.