amp troubles at shows

Displacer
Displacer
11/11/2003 9:41 am
im sure everyones had them, but I've got a question that some amp master may know.

last show we played I used my digitech multi-effects pedal into a marshall amp, the amp had a complex amount of knobs and my distortion was just plain terrible.

now, my question is that if my digitech pedal has EQ settings on it already, like ALL the EQ settings, should i turn all the EQ knobs on the amp down to zero and just run it off my pedal, or does it not work like that?

any input to this would be VERY appreciated because we have a huge show coming up soon and i dotn wanna spend ten minutes playing with an amp and deafening people with feedback :P hehe

thanks so much!

Dispy!
# 1
andy82
andy82
11/11/2003 11:42 am
I nearly got bashed by my band members ;) because my effects caused that kind of problems with the amps. We were at a comp using the marshalls provided and damn my distortion was unbareable. I'd be interested to know as well...
# 2
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
11/11/2003 2:09 pm
An amp is an effect by itself so you should not be surprised when you hear that your multifx sounds different on different amps. I suggest that you spend some time during soundcheck figuring out what are the best settings and then when you go onstage just set the eqs as you have memorized them.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/11/2003 6:48 pm
When you plug your multi-effect unit into an amp that you're not familiar with ,the first rule is to work on the clean channel.
There should be about 6 knobs max you'll have to be messing around with , Gain - Master Vol - Bass - Mids - Treble - Presence (some of those may not be found in every amp) ... As for reverbs , you're effects unit should take care of that , but in case you want to use the amp's reverb , don't turn it over 4 or 5.

Some people prefere pluging their stuff straight into the mixer instead of having to deal with an amp that they don't have any experience with , but I prefere going through the amp and a couple of min of sound checking, that should be enough.
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/11/2003 11:56 pm
I think that the EQ knobs on the amp are not solely boosts, i.e. turning everything to zero doesn't mean a completely clean sound. I think that would make everything sound muddy. Try turning everything to 5.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.