feeling quite cocky

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/05/2003 6:18 am
i just had my first performance for a little dorm talent show. i put a dorm group together and we played Iced Earth's Melancholy. then my friend and i did an acoustic improv. altough i messed up the solo lightly, no one seemed to notice. other than that we played great and got some great applauses. one girl even came up to me afterward and i was just amazing.

before i had never been so excited and scared at the same time in my life. i barely ate anything all day for fear that i was goingto throw up. but afterward i definately knew what Steve Vai meant when he said that after his first performance he was striking poses. i definately had a strut to my walk.

anyway i hope this will be the first of many performances to come

on a related note, i am a golden god :D
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/05/2003 6:22 am
Yup, I remember that first concert feeling. I had to leave right after it because I had to do it right in the middle of a cancer fundraiser, but it was still great.

Btw, is that a new sig?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
11/05/2003 7:12 am
Well, just don't get too cocky. Most people will think you're awesome if you slop together a few pentatonic licks.

# 3
Digit
Digit
11/05/2003 4:13 pm
yeah. Master the cocky. that's what I say.
If ya feel like you're heads getting too big, slam it in a doorjam.
When you get off stage, no matter how good you are or how much praise you're getting, just pretend all you did was screw in a lightbulb.
Don't just act that way..feel that way.
People can see right through a guy who's all full of himself and trying to be 'humble'.

# 4
daveasdf
daveasdf
11/05/2003 6:57 pm
I say screw what others think period. If I'm full of myself when I get off the stage, then people are going to see it and hear about it. I work hard at my art and I'm not going to be dishonest about how it makes me feel to put on a decent concert. ...Mind you, I don't walk down the street naked with a guitar strapped behind my back either.
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/05/2003 10:30 pm
I'm just the opposite. When I'm done with something and people compliment me I'm like 'what are you talking about? That sucked, I could have randomly whacked my head against the strings and you wouldn't know the difference'. It's mainly because everyone is tone deaf where I'm from, but seriously it's rediculous how little people know what they're listening to.

I'm not joking, I've gone as far as deliberately playing fills out of key in church and still gotten sincere compliments.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
11/06/2003 11:32 pm
Congratulations! I'm glad it was a good experience for you. There's nothing wrong with feeling a little bit cocky, even though majority of everyone else seems to think so...

# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/07/2003 12:38 am
The majority of everyone else either doesn't play guitar or sucks ass at it. Otherwise they would be cocky :)
-A.H.
# 8
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
11/07/2003 1:23 am
Well said Ham.

# 9

11/08/2003 12:22 am

I always stand by one saying,

... Let your actions speak not your attitude ...

Enjoy the moment man, cause you can bet your a%? you'll hear more people say that you suck than people saying that you're good and that my friend is called envy lol

One of my friend once said when finishing a jam "I prefer someone coming up to me and saying I sucked than someone saying that I'm good, at least I really know what the first one was really thinking"
# 10
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
11/08/2003 4:36 am
Ya know, I feel charged after a gig, but I think that Cocky is not a very good word to describe that feeling. Maybe a bit proud about how I provided a good time for people. But my playing, uhhhhhh. I'm almost never satisfied with it. When someone compliments me on a solo, I usually shake my head in dismay and dissagreement. And on the rare occasion when I've played to my satisfaction, you might hear something like, "I think I did alright," but nothing more.
I'm a pretty shy person when it comes down to it.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 11
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/08/2003 5:20 am
I dont think I could ever be cocky openly in front of unknown people cause for all I know there is someone better standing right next to me.There is always someone better.

Zepp... you sure you arnt confusing cockyness with energy?
I mean if some dude tried telling me off after an awsome show,I would be a total dick and be like "f*ck you,I just played in front of 600 people you f*ckin loser" and proceed to kick that crap out of him with my friends who I assume would also be on an energy trip.I would also be act like a stud with ladies for the night/next morning.
hmmmm...mabey it would be a mix of both.
All I know is concert energy is unlike any other,in that you feel on top of everything(unless your getting stomped in a pit).

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.