View post (Question for Chris Mood (aka Theory Master))

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
11/07/2003 3:43 pm
[u]Misinterpretation[/u]

Interesting. I hope your not holding true to the 9th being the defining difference. The 9th is optional and it only used to intensify the 7th, the 9th is a suspension (sus2) just over a 7th chord. In most 11th chords the 9th is left out because of the dissonant stacking of the root, 2n, 3rd, (#)4th, and 5th together in one chord. Two suspensions in one work doesn't work in my opinion. Something needs to be left out, like you said in your next post. The 5th will be the common first, then the 9th. In a #11 chord the 5th must stay though, otherwise it's a b5. In the dominant and minor version it's most likely a b5. In the melodic minor the dominant#11 will sit on the IV chord, any other time it's a dominantb5 chord. The minor version I have never seen and to me it's wrong, a #11 and 5th together sounds bad on a minor chord. Choose one, and if it's the #11, it's more commonplace to call it a m7b5 or (if you really want that 9th) m9b5.

[u]Voicing on a minor #11 chord [/u]

It still sounds unfavorable to me, maybe on a big band it may sound better but on one instrument it's just bad. I like the blues too, being the #11 in nothing more than a b5. Still sounds bad in one chord on one instrument. May only be heard in extreme situations.

[u]11th are suspensions[/u]

I'm not sure why you don't see that, a 11th is a 4th right? You said yourself the 11th had a "sus" quality. Your 9th, 11th, and 13th chords are just new stacks above the 7th. That's true because in all those chords the 7th has to be there. If not it's either a sus2, sus4, or 6th. If you hold true to the 9th being the difference, read the first paragraph. A G7sus2 is exactly a G9, we just don't write G7sus2. Same with the 11th, it's just a G7 with a sus4 stacked on top of it. As you go up in those chord, the previous intervals don't have to be played. Like a 13th chord, you don't need to play the 9th or 11th, just as long as you have a 13th (6th), 7th, and root. It's a 13th chord.

[/B][/QUOTE] [/B][/QUOTE]

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 11-07-2003 at 09:46 AM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.