bending...whats the diff ?

concrete chaos
concrete chaos
10/29/2003 4:24 am
between whole step etc... i guess it also means tone or semi tone..but bend a whole step up..meaning the severity of the bend..taking the pitch of the note higher...

im confused about the meaning...help ....

pls...?
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 1
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
10/29/2003 5:41 am
Bending a whole tone, would be like bending 7^9.

What you want to do, is bend the 7th fret to sound like the 9th fret. You could do a 1 1/2 step bend and bend from 7 to 10.

Just try to make the bend sound like the tone you are trying to acheive. You could use a chromatic tuner for this, it will help you develop your sense of how hard you need to bend strings, it will start to come naturally.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/29/2003 10:45 am
yeah

and if you dont have a tuner try this:

g----9--7^9----

so you first hit the note on the E and then you fret the D and bend it up till you hit the E again. do this fast enough so that you can compare the two notes. nothing sounds worse than a bend that isnt accurate. you can - depending on your sting gauge and your tunning - bend up to 3 fulltones

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/29/2003 3:52 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
...you can - depending on your sting gauge and your tunning - bend up to 3 fulltones

Warning! This is only for professionals, so don't try this at home unless you want to loss an eye!!!!!
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 4
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
10/29/2003 5:13 pm
Originally posted by noticingthemistake
...you can - depending on your sting gauge and your tunning - bend up to 3 fulltones

Warning! This is only for professionals, so don't try this at home unless you want to loss an eye!!!!!

LMFAO!!!

*twang* OWWW MY EYE!!
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 5
TheDirt
TheDirt
10/29/2003 5:22 pm
Yeah, I've broken a string when I tuned my B to a C for a song and bent up a step and a half around the 15th fret... got lucky and didn't lose an eye, but I learned my lesson.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 6
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/29/2003 7:26 pm
I've done that before when tuning my high e string, it broke and snapped back at me. But since I have the reflexes of a mongoose (sp?), I was able to quickly dodge out of the way.

On a serious note, bending is pretty easy to judge (not an exact science). To bend up a half step, bend the string half way to the next string. To go up a whole step, bend the string up til it touches the next string. I dunno after that but that's how I judge it when playing live. When I first read Az's post I though he meant 3 whole steps. I was thinking yeah right, unless you tune strings down a string (E-B). I know what you meant in a few thoughts later. 'lol'
# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/30/2003 8:27 am
well yes - i meant 3 whole steps since a fulltone is a whole step :) so (depending on your tuning) you can bend like 12^18 - but thats hard on the limit

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 8
concrete chaos
concrete chaos
10/31/2003 12:38 am
see its the jargon....i can bend a whole step no problem if it sounds right when trying to make something sound better [worse] thats another story. [amateur]

anyway thanks for clearing that up....

3 steps mmm in time maybe i have gauge 10 so i dunno..yet.
'i dont have low self esteem, it's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else' - Daria
# 9
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
11/01/2003 1:35 am
well yes - i meant 3 whole steps since a fulltone is a whole step :) so (depending on your tuning) you can bend like 12^18 - but thats hard on the limit

You definitely have to be detuning your guitar at least a step and a half. Or you have some real strong kick ass strings that you need to give me the DL on. If I try bending past 2 whole steps, I always break a string. :( Even if I tune down a half step (that's as far as I will go cause after that they start to sound flat to me and I get fret buzz).
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.