Selling out

servinservant
servinservant
10/15/2003 12:00 am

Just thinking about this...

when a band is first signed and make their first album the record company has alot of say over alot of their image and music. So when there into say their 3rd cd and they are really popular and have alot more freedom their music changes.

is it selling out?

Or just they have the freedom to do what they want now.
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/15/2003 12:12 am
I personally have no problem with it when bands "Sell out." If they want to sacrifice quality of music for higher standard of living, I consider it a bargain. If I were famous, I'd totally sell out. Who cares? You can still write good music, you just won't release it. That way, the music is still important AND you're rolling in the dough. Selling out is the most important step to getting rich. Go for it, dudes!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
10/15/2003 12:35 am
But doesn't selling out kind of throw the fun of playing out the window. Sure you can still write great songs, but you never release them. Whats the point of writing them?
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
servinservant
servinservant
10/15/2003 1:01 am
because they mean something to you, you dont want to degrade them, parade them around like a product

but yeh, when you think about it the only bad thing to come from selling out is diehards on the net complaining ranting and raving in internet forums about how "they used to be", meanwhile your getting rich.

[Edited by servinservant on 10-14-2003 at 08:07 PM]
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/15/2003 1:18 am
Originally posted by Tele Master
But doesn't selling out kind of throw the fun of playing out the window. Sure you can still write great songs, but you never release them. Whats the point of writing them?

servinservant totally answered your question for me...but yeah, there's no point in writing them but to show yourself that you still can. I know I'm gonna probably get negative feedback, but honestly, I think writing bad songs and getting bashed by forums such as this one is a small price to pay for someone who is (forgive the cliche) laughing all the way to the bank.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
metalisbest
metalisbest
10/15/2003 1:35 am
Most bands that people have said have sold out I still like and think their newer music is better. To give you a few examples: Stone Temple Pilots(before they broke up), Foo Fighters, 311, Sevendust, Staind, etc. If I was an artist I wouldn't sell out for money. I wouldn't even consider it selling out. I would do what I want musically and if it pulled in the bucks than let it be.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.