View post (copying)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/17/2003 4:08 pm
Originally posted by beginner
ok, than that was just a missunderstanding; i never considered about putting a few riffs together and call them mine, but when it comes to copying solos i should after i learned it exactly like the original, create my own version, right?

Well after you learn a solo, and then go and try to make up a new solo on your own. A print of the solo you just learned carries over on to your solo, everyone should understand that. There's nothing wrong with that, it can be a great source for inspiration (I know for me). In the ends, even though it is similar to the solo you learned. You wrote it yourself. Copying it note for note through is piracy, you didn't create anything. You took it and called it your own.

And to the topic "i don´t cover copy anything from other guitarist" i have found a nice statement from Lukather: "If you always copy one guitarist, that´s larcency, but if you copy many guitarists, that´s science! I actually play almost only borrowed licks"!

I can't say I agree, but I also don't think he means linking other peoples stuff together to make a new song. I think he means be influenced by many guitarist instead of one (like you play exactly like malmsteen). Instead you take ideas from malmsteen, satch, and so on and put them together. To me music is not a science, it's more like nature. Like if you start a song with a few chords. As you play through those chords you know where you want to go regardless. It's in your head you just have to figure it out. That's creating music. Taking parts and throwing them together is like a roll of the dice, it's not always going to work.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.