Artificial Harmonics

tomyzbak
tomyzbak
12/23/2000 6:40 pm
I seriously need help on A.H. I cant seem to do it right, and ive had to many people tell me this way, no this way, no that way.... Can anyone tell me how YOU do it and make it sound tight. If any one has heard cemetary gates by pantera.. i want to make my AH squeel like dimes. Thx.
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/25/2000 9:45 pm
Do you mean artificial or pinch harnmonics? I guess it's just semantics, anyways.

Anyways, i assume you mean pinch harmonics. For me, i find it works best with my strat set to the bridge or middle pickups, or with the neck pickup with its tone set to 10.

Turn on some distortion, and pick the string downwards so that just after the pick strikes the string, your thumb lightly touches the string. It should be a very subtle touching, not as if you're picking the string with your thumb, but just like a sweeping type motion.

Try it and i hope that helps.

... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/26/2000 2:11 pm
Well, since I'm a bassist, I don't use picks. How I get artificial harmonics is by picking the string w/ my index or middle finger against my thumb.

The real trick to this no matter how you go about it is to have a finger or the tip or your thumb just barely touch the string as you pick. Though using distortion will help these come out, I would practice it w/ no distortion so that you can focus on your technique more. Once you get comfortable on this you can do some exceptionally cool things (I know a guy who can get a phaser-esqu sound by doing artificial harmonics up and down the string).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

12/27/2000 12:27 am
See, pinch harmonics ARE artificial harmonics. You know how you get those artificial harmonics most commonly at the third, fifth and seventh frets? Well you can get them all over the fretboard, even off the fretboard above the pickups. So knowing this, it's just a matter of picking a string and simultaneously performing an artificial harmonic on it. A lot of distortion helps. You should attack the string sharply, and use the edge of your thumb to sound the harmonic.
# 4
JoeyLibby
JoeyLibby
01/04/2001 7:18 pm
Arent the harmonics on 3,5,7,12... natural harmonics? all they require is a little tap from your playing hand as you pick the string to sound.

and i think there are some natural harmonics in between frets too, not sure about that.
One The only way is one
I feel angry I feel helpless Want to change the world
# 5

01/04/2001 10:00 pm
Yeah what was I saying, artificial harmonics? Meant natural harmonics.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.