Shawn Lane, 1963 - 2003

sambob
sambob
09/27/2003 6:00 pm
Theres really not much for me to say about this, I'm just incredibly sad.

Shawn Lane died last night, the only details are on http://www.noproblemhere.com

As far as I know, it was just complications with his lungs from smoking, and probably his weight.
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
09/28/2003 12:25 am
I heard that news this morning, we're actually putting up a "tribute to shawn" on guitariste.com, the french site I'm contributing to as a teacher.

Not only Shawn was the fastest guitarist alive, he also was one tasty player, songwriter, and human being.
I had paid quite a lot of money when I was 17 to buy both his REH tapes, and a LOT of music I now play is inspired by this great man.
He made me check out some Art Tatum, made me discover the Mahavishnu Orchestra, and many others things he carried along as his influences...

One of the CD that I want most is his "Powers of ten" CD, one of the rarest CD ever released by a shredder. Along the way, while researching this CD, I picked hundreds of CDs, by great players and musicians. I have never seen him perform live, 2 days ago I was still talking about how sad it was that even though he was so talented, his music wouldn't make him rich enough to cure himself.

Rest in peace Shawn. We'll keep playing down here, until we meet...
# 2
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/28/2003 4:31 pm
Yeah it is a horrible loss. I never listened to much of his music but from what I have heard he was a great musician. All I can say is all the good ones die too soon, and it's a loss for all of us when someone like him dies. :(
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
09/28/2003 5:00 pm
That's ****, what a waste.

I have two of his albums, one of them is Powers of Ten Live, I don't know if that's the one you're after Herve.
It came with another live CD, I think it was live in Berlin or something.
If you haven't heard his playing you are missing out, he was a formidable scary player in the Holdsworth league but rockier.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4
x_code
x_code
09/29/2003 10:44 am
****!!!!!

Man! I just felt like when you told a kid Santa Claus doesn't exist!

I had no idea!

That's a SHAME!!!!!!!

too bad

I don't know what else to say.

peace,
x_code
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.