acoustic guitar playing

Fruitbat
Fruitbat
09/26/2003 8:30 am
I actually prefer playing acoustic to electric, mainly because I love the pure tone of a good quality acoustic - I play a Martin Jumbo 6 string and a Moridaira 9 string - and find that playing compositions on acoustics is the acid test of a good toon.Also, I also find that fingerstyle is best suited to acoustic.

What's your take? Do you even like acoustics and acoustic styles of music?

# 1
David C
David C
09/26/2003 2:21 pm
I'm with you on that one, Fruitbat. I play a Takamine G330R and just love it, but someday I want to get a Martin, especially for that bluegrass sound. I prefer the pure, roots sound of the acoustic, because when playing it you can't rely on technology to sound good. You have to do it yourself! Plus, it is so much easier to pick up and play (not to mention transport!) than the electric and all the gear. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I love to plug in and rock out, but with kids and a small apartment, I don't get that opportunity very often.
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/26/2003 3:57 pm
I caught the acoustic bug about 2 yrs. ago.I have a couple of friends who are amazing acoustic players, one of them who is well known throughout the blue-grass community.

I never had the touch for the steel string acoustic, so instead gravitated towards the nylon string. I love the tone, soft and mellow like a human voice. I also really enjoy playing with my fingers, it feels like your really connecting w/the instrument, playing w/a pick can be so impersonnal.

I really enjoy the ability to be able to play as a solo instrumentalist, playing solo on the electric does not quite cut it. Starting to get pretty good at it, I have done several solo / instrumental gigs so far and have quite a few more coming up.
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/27/2003 5:18 am
I love playing my electric guitar, but there's nothing like sitting around a fire with your friends singing along to you playing an acoustic. The acoustic guitar is where I started, and is probably where I'll end. I'm mostly a rythm guitarist, so the acoustic is my home. But, when playing with other's acousticly, it alows me to be the "lead" guitarist. I don't play solo's or big lead riffs, but I do play the stuff that makes a song sound the way it does.....my way. I love taking a song that's electric, and playing an acoustic version of it. I play a '90's Korean made Fender Redondo, and it has been one of if not the best acoustic guitars I've ever played. Not only for it's full tone, but the feel is just perfect for me. The only guitar that has rivaled mine was a Taylor. Martin's just don't do it for me for some reason. Aside from all that rambling, to answere your question.....I love the acoustic guitar and acoustic based/style music.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
09/27/2003 1:10 pm
I, also, prefer acoustic to electric. There's just something more real about the acoustic guitar.

# 5
sambob
sambob
09/27/2003 1:12 pm
because when playing it you can't rely on technology to sound good. You have to do it yourself!

Thats quite true for electrics too..many players think they can use technology to make them sound good of course, but good tone comes from the fingers.
# 6
Gainer
Gainer
09/27/2003 3:58 pm
I only prefer acoustic over electric if it's a classical.
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/28/2003 12:07 am
I'm with Gainer.Other than that,I pick it up when theres no electric around.Ive been thinking about getting a Stratacoustic for a few months now...and I love that Cort Earthwood with the sweet vine inlays.There not classical guitars,but I like em'.
Try once,fail twice...
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.