Peavy Guitars

icecool
icecool
09/19/2003 11:52 pm
I was recently playing a moderately priced Peavy guitar (at around £400), wouldn't be able to quote the model or anything. But I was wondering what the general feel was towards Peavy guitars, as this was the first time I'd played one, are they amazing? good? bad? awful?
I just didn't know what to make of my experience.

Anything would be helpful :)
Thanks
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/20/2003 1:29 am
I have a Peavey Cirrus 4 string Bass, it is lovley ! It was quite expencive so Id not expect it to be cack however I have had mixed reviews of the Peavey 6 strings.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Gainer
Gainer
09/20/2003 1:41 am
I find the body of certain peavey guitars are small and uncomfortable. good sound though.
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 3
Buddy Holly
Buddy Holly
09/20/2003 3:23 am
I picked up a used Peavey Predator off of ebay for $50 US. It is a strat copy. The bridge pup didnt work so I put in a new one. Other than that this thing is built like a tank and it plays like butter. It would kick any MIM strat's ass. Nice fast maple neck. I have replaced the neck and bridge pup's with some Fender lace sensors that I had laying around and it rips. Oh yeah, the tuners are kinda flimsy feeling but the thing stays in tune so I shouldnt complain.
Rock On!!!
Mike
# 4
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
09/21/2003 1:25 am
One of my first guitars (and still in my stable) was a Nitro Custom.... I loved it enough that I rebuilt it every time I broke it. I replaced the neck 2 times... (Second time I massaged a Vandy neck on it) Repaired the body 3 times... (Tremelo mishaps... I was a little abusive. How was I supposed to know that you could rip the damn thing out of the body when you jerked it by the bar and shook furiously about eye level with it... whoops)...
It also received a full scallop on the neck when I decided I wanted to see if I liked it or not, went through numerous paint schemes ( It's bare now), but I still love that thing...
Also I got my eye on a custom Wolfy to make number 27 in my collection

[Edited by hairbndrckr on 09-20-2003 at 08:29 PM]
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 5
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/21/2003 11:06 pm
Ughhh...I had a lower end Peavey LTD with red quilt top and wilkinson style trem.I brought it back within a month and got an Ibanez RG.Just saying "Bend" or "Vibrato" to close to the thing would knock it out of tune.Better than my first guitar(jay turser),but for the money($350+ or somthing)theres far,far better.I havnt checked out the high end limited series($1000+),but the peavey brand just gives me a sick feeling in my stomach exept the 5150 II or XXX stuff.One of my local guitar store salsemen cracked me up when he said "peavey is the best bang for your buck" as I was looking over a ridiculous priced($550)100Watt 1x15 bass combo.Overpriced equipment suited for a crappy garage punk band.

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 6
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/21/2003 11:15 pm
Hummm. I have it on good authority that Peavey bend over back wards to make a lot of money for the people who stock there kit. Not too surprising the sales man was keen to make a sale !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/22/2003 4:53 am
The only Peavey gear I've ever owned is their Rock Master guitar preamp. I liked it so much, I ended up with three of 'em! I sold one a couple of months ago, and I may part with one more, but I'm definitely keeping at least one.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/22/2003 5:52 pm
So THATS peaveys game!If thats the case then,Peavey has turned one of the most reputable music stores in my area into crap!I thought it was just under new managment or somthing(that might still be the case).All they carry is peavey.They have peavey drumsets,amps,guitars and pretty much everything with the name thats synonomous with poop.Other than that they carry Fender out the bunghole...all those ugly shomasters,stagemasters,wanna-be cool teles,and cheap squires....ughhh...and nothing but Ibanez ton-loks fx!!!

The most lame for your buck!

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
m.i.n.e.
m.i.n.e.
09/20/2007 12:03 am
I'm an older long-time player and sound technician with a fairly large arsenal of both guitar and p.a. gear. I have always avoided the Peavey name in the past, but 2 pieces of their guitar gear have now grabbed my attention.

Recently, a friend gave me a red Peavey Predator strat copy that he had condemned as a piece of junk.

I installed used S.D. humbuckers in the bridge and neck positions, and a new stacked S.D. (with a splitter switch) in the middle. The tuning wasn't too bad, but I put on a set of grovers to be safe. A small bit of routering gave the vibrato more room to move (in the pull direction). The ends of the frets overhung the side of the fretboard (probably the most obvious flaw in the original final finishing of the guitar). Some careful filing smoothed out the rough edges. To match the guitar with my Frankenstein baritone guitar, I cut the Peavey headstock in the same shape, and painted it the same red.

It has a great maple neck, and plays as effortlessly as my Fender. It weighs about the same, and remains comfortable to play, even after long sessions.

Tonally, it sounds very good now, and it sustains forever. I can get all of the sustain that a Sustaniac would give, but with less of the predictable harmonic jumps. Harmonic jumps are possible, but you have to work with the guitar/speaker spatial relationship to find them.

Since the work I did (which cost about $200 in total), the guitar has won me over, and, I hate to admit it, but, as much as I love them, my '53 Les Paul Standard and my '73 Fender 5trat (damned 3-bolt pivoting neck!!!) both sit the game out on the bench a fair bit.

The other piece of Peavey gear is a Peavey Ultra 3-channel amp head. At first, I wasn't overly impressed, even through my '70 Marshall 4x12" Greenbacks. Then, some reviews on line gave me a vital hint. With a 1/3 octave equalizer in the effects loop, this amp came to life, and it totally rocks.

The combination of the PV guitar and amp, the eq, and the Marshall cab is god-like. And, as much as I hate to admit it, I have to credit Peavey with making some very good gear.

Mo
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.