writing from just 1 scale

ice9
ice9
09/17/2003 2:20 am
Im so frustrated with music theory i could puke:(
there is light at the end of the tunnel tho.Im using a scale today that i really love.A harmonic minor,
I played 3 barre chords from the pattern and blended in the egyptian sounding runs and i must admit i could get away with playing just this one scale.At least i would be playing the right notes even tho 1 key would proly get old
fast.Just give me a drum machine a marshall stack and a jackson custom and A harmonic minor and im set:)
I have to put my finger where?
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/17/2003 6:54 pm
Having a song stay in the same key isn't boring at all. It's when all your songs are in the same key that it gets old. Write a song in A Harmonic minor, and if you like the harmonic scale so much, write one in C harmonic major, it's the same notes with different roots. You can write a song in E harmonic minor too, if you feel like it, its different notes, but laid out in the same pattern on the fretboard.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/17/2003 9:27 pm
P.S. if you own a Marshall Stack and a Jackson custom, you should be well past only playing the A harmonic minor scale. Come on man, apply yourself.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 3
ice9
ice9
09/18/2003 12:44 am
Well actually i dont own a marshall stack or a jackson.Thats just my dream rig:)
All i have now is a hot rodded kay and a gnx1 processor thru some 50.00 headphones.
I really dont like the idea of composing a song in only 1 key.Because people would know exactly what im doing.
I like to add in some odd notes that stand out but would fit the key.Ive been writing stuff from harmonic minor and modulating to melodic minor via the common notes between the 2 scales.It seems to work and i like that idea.I tried combining the major scale/melodic and harmonic minor but the 9 notes together seemed too busy and the tonal center wasnt clear.Im very big on improvising stuff on the spot.I cheat tho because i have a scale diagram laid out in front of me whilst i just fiddle around with moving between the 2 scales and coming up with neat sounding jazz runs.
My plan is to keep the 4 track going while i beat these 2 scales into the ground and then hopefully i will have 3 minutes worth of something that someone else will want to hear.probably not tho...........lol
I have to put my finger where?
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/29/2003 11:58 pm
one song that stays in the same key is fine, I'm not kidding. Just, if you write more, write them in other keys, try C or Em those are pretty easy.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.