steve vai style vs chet atkins style

xpayxphonex
xpayxphonex
09/09/2003 4:38 pm
Does anyone think that if chet atkins still was around and steve vai(just for example)was to jam with him that they would be able to jam with each other. Two complete different styles. I was in a music store a few days back and i saw two guitarist talking to each other. ONe of them played the country fingerpicking southern rock style while the other played the style of paul gilbert and steve vai. The metal guitarist had problems putting something to what the fingerpicker was playing but i am sure that the fingerpicker couldnt play "pick everynote at the speed of light" either. I have never seen a guitarist that could play Yngwie and also be able to play advanced fingerstyle country style. or a guitarist that was a very good country fingerstyle that could play Yngwie. I wonder if someone like steve vai or paul gilbert could do it. I would think probably not but you never know.
# 1
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
09/10/2003 8:11 am
Well there are finger style players who can play fast single note runs with a thumbpick, though I have'nt seen them incorporate tapping. Tommy Emmanuel comes to mind.Tony McManus is a brilliant acoustic player who's equally comfortable with finger-style and pick, so he might be able to cross over.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.