View post (What is the dealy-o with lyrics these days?)

View thread

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/10/2003 1:52 pm
Originally posted by metalisbest
Well lets see some of your lyrics. I don't post any of my material on the internet because some people are looking for them and I don't want them to see them.

I don't understand why discussion of other people's work always ends up with someone demanding to see/hear another person's work. Why would my skill at creating lyrics affect my ability to have an opinion on/judge other people's work?

Do you like cars? Do you dislike some cars? Well, let's see the latest you've built, or else sit yerself back down. See, I'm sure you have plenty of opinions/judgements in areas where you have no skill. What about classical music, houses, sweaters, shoes, etc.?

Don't you understand, though, what I mean about lyrics being too brutally obvious? I mean, shouldn't something be left to the listener's interpretation? How can a listener interpret "Everyone hates me/Society dislikes me/Even my friends only endure me/I had a girl once, but she now hates me, too"?

More people can relate to, say, U2's lyrics than Everclear's, simply because all Everclear does is sing about how his father left him when he was a kid, but U2 deals with so many different issues in one song (e.g. One). Or, perhaps Bono doesn't deal with many different issues in one song, but if you take a dozen people and one U2 song, you'll get at least 12 opinions on the song's meaning to each person.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]