Yet more lyrics, opinions appreciated

icecool
icecool
09/08/2003 9:23 pm
This song I have started is about preconceptions of people or even situations, and how they can stop you from viewing the thing positively or perhaps even negatively.

-Preconceptions-

Verse1
Time and time again,
People let me down,
Always is the same,
These Preconceptions.

Take me by suprise,
Prove me wrong again,
Ignorance persists,
In this world I own.

Link
Open my eyes,
Realise the truth,
Blinded by before,
I hang my head.

Chorus
I know you better than you know yourself,
So I'll judge when I like,
Don't think I can by swayed.
I know you better than you know yourself,
So I'll judge when I like,
Don't think I can by swayed.
--------------------------------

This is as much as I've written. Thoughts are much appreciated, It's hardly like I'm a veteran lyricist, lol.

# 1
Digit
Digit
09/09/2003 12:32 am
They're fine - I guess.
I guess I'm just left with a 'so what' kind of feeling afterwards.
I mean, it's almost like you just wrote down whatever came to mind on a particular subject.
Lyrics are supposed to take you on a journey and make you think. And maybe it's just me, but lyrics are supposed to rhyme.

Anyone can wake
With thoughts within their head
A random word or two
To get them out of bed

But just because my sink is clogged
I shouldn't grab a pen
To write down every random thing
That happens in my den

©2003 by Digit

# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/09/2003 3:52 am
Lyrics don't have to rhyme.

To me, it sounds cheesy if they do rhyme. Some scenarios present itself where rhyming sounds good, but most of the time, it just isn't for me.

The song is ok. Not much feeling or emotion.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
09/09/2003 3:47 pm
Originally posted by Digit
They're fine - I guess.
I guess I'm just left with a 'so what' kind of feeling afterwards.
I mean, it's almost like you just wrote down whatever came to mind on a particular subject.
Lyrics are supposed to take you on a journey and make you think. And maybe it's just me, but lyrics are supposed to rhyme.

Anyone can wake
With thoughts within their head
A random word or two
To get them out of bed

But just because my sink is clogged
I shouldn't grab a pen
To write down every random thing
That happens in my den

©2003 by Digit

LOL... I love it!!! So unapologetic and trite!

But, I don't agree that lyrics are supposed to rhyme. Maybe sometimes (or most times), but not necessarily all the time. Sometimes it's more about creating a mood with the vocals than it is about making cute little rhyming couplets.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/09/2003 9:09 pm
rhyming is a necessity, if it doesn't rhyme, it's not a song.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/10/2003 3:41 am
Originally posted by Jolly McJollyson
rhyming is a necessity, if it doesn't rhyme, it's not a song.

What a close-minded statement.

Dr. Suess, good at rhyming, Billy Shakes (William Shakespear), good at rhyming, all these nu-metal, my mom didn't love me kids, bad at rhyming.

Rhyming is redundant and makes the song sound like a nursery rhyme. Some songs rhyme and sound good, don't get me wrong, but rhyming all the time makes it sound like rap to me.

But whatever.
# 6
Laurathrax
Laurathrax
09/11/2003 8:14 am
The opinion that lyrics must rhyme in order for it to be a "song", whilst still an opinion, and hence no right or wrong... is WRONG... Take a look at some of Maynard Keenan's (Tool and A Perfect Circle) or Dax Riggs (Acid Bath and Agents of Oblivion) and you'll see some of the best lyrical content (even if not your style of music) as found anywhere else in the music world.

Lyrics are just a reason for the singer to make sounds. Since lyrical content is as such arbitrary, you may as well make them as creative as possible. As such, songs are not just poetry sung over music, it's a way for the singer to tell a story or concept to us. When was the last time you read a really good book that rhymed all the way through? =/
(This spot reserved for extra flavor for those that have nothing interesting to say in their posts)
# 7
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
09/11/2003 3:36 pm
In my opinion Rhyming is ok in songwriting. You obviously don't have to rhyme, and your not going to get crucified if you do. Bob Dylan, one of the best songwritters in American history, rhymed every line he sung. And there are guys out there who don't rhyme and write exceptional lyrics. One good thing about rhyming is it makes that line particularly memorable and it gives it a nice hook. The best place to rhyme is at the chorus, or prechorus just for that fact. The verse is where you tell your story so rhyming too much there makes it cheesy. Not all rhymes are doctor suess rhymes, you can write intelligent catchy rhymes and really make a song baddarse. My 2 cents.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 8
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/11/2003 4:26 pm
I agree that all rhymes aren't Dr. Suess rhymes. Look at Shakespear. His plays, most of them, rhymed, and he's probably the most reknowned poet of all time. I just think if a song rhymes all the way through it becomes to predictable, and boring.

Like the other thread with Jolly McJollyson. Some of the lines didn't even fit into the song, he was just using them to make sure it rhymed. Not good for me. But it's all a personal preference.

Rhyming in some songs is good. Look at Metallica. 90% of their songs rhyme, and most of them are great songs. It's tasteful to me that way, but when you just fill words in to rhyme, not tasteful.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.