View post (Mysterious Tuning Problem)

View thread

Neil Young
Neil Young
09/05/2003 12:28 am
I know the different tricks to tuning a guitar, and have employed them on many different guitars, therefor I know they work and I am executing them correctly. However, one of my acoustics has been a real C*NT ...

To tune this acoustic, I have: used my electric keyboard to match the notes, a tuner, string to string harmonics, and the classic 5th string technique. But my 2nd string seems to only like certain chords.

Basically I can do either of the following ...

1. Tune the 2nd string to the 3rd.
2. Tune the 2nd string to the 4th.
3. Tune the 2nd string to the 5th.

... and get only certain chords sounding correct.

Illustration of tuning conflictions (# is when conflict occurs) -

1. Tuning 2nd to 4thšššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššššš2. Tuning 2nd to 5th
|ššššššššššššššššššššššššššš|šššššššššššššššššššš|
|-#-----2-------------------|-0-----#------------|
|-#--#--3-----#-------------|-0--2--#-----1------|
|-1--2--2-----0-------------|-1--2--2-----0------|
|-2--2--0-----2-------------|-2--2--0-----2------|
|-2--0--------3-------------|-2--0--------3------|
|-0-------------------------|-0------------------|

|-E--A--D-----C-------------|-E--A--D-----C------|

You can see on the second one (tuning 2nd to 5th) that E chord works, but then D doesnt ... if the strings work together to get E, shouldn't it work with D as well?

Just as I posted this thread, I tuned my other guitar, tuned the 2nd string to the 5th string 2nd fret, then used harmonics to tune the 1st to the 2nd string. Wow, sounds really good. Strange how my other guitar is such a problem.

Maybe someone has seen this before. Even if I am tuning wrong, which is HIGHLY UNLIKELY, my tuner still doesn't even get the strings right.

[Edited by Neil Young on 09-04-2003 at 07:34 PM]