View post (Getting past scales with same notes)

View thread

MistaSG
MistaSG
09/07/2003 7:44 pm
Ok, I usually don't like shredders, but you seem cool since you use scales, so I'll see if I can help you.

Ok, if your soloing is getting boring, you should try putting some rythem into it. My guitar teacher was talking about using a sort of "swing rythem" when you solo to blues or rock. So like, when you're playing in 4/4 time you make the first note long, the second short, the third long, and the fourth short. So that it won't be the same length over and over, which could get boring. You could also try other lengths, and maybe discover a new style of shredding.

For notes, the scales you listed are all modes, so they all share notes acording to their root scale Ex: A in aeolian has the same notes as a C major scale (ionian) Most people look at the scales like you do and think "They're all the same notes, whats the diff?" well the difference is the order of the notes you play, which give the scale its sound. So if you play a C major scale, its all happy, but when you play A in aeolian its a much sadder sound. Also, another difference are the chords you play underneath it. So if it sounds the same as a C major chord, then you're doing it wrong. Of course if that isn't enough, the chromatic scale is really all you need, from a jazz point of view anyway. There's only 12 notes in music, so of course your always gonna use the the same notes, its just the way you play it that gives it a new sound.

I don't know if you always shred, but if you wanna sound different, maybe try slowing down and hold your notes out as long as you can. Its much harder to play a long note that sounds good then it is to play short fast notes. Or mix the two and get an awsome solo out of it, start slow and end fast to get your audience excited, or start out fast and end slow, to make a more sad solo. There is an excellent example of the end slow type solo that is on a Red Hot Chili Peppers DVD, umm I think the DVD is called "off the map" and the song is "I could have lied." It's an awsome solo.

I've only been playing for year and a half, so I might have made a mistake. I hope this helps...

Spread like butter, rise like yeast...

"There's no such thing as wrong notes, just wrongly played notes" ~me!