View post (Getting past scales with same notes)

View thread

finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
09/03/2003 5:55 am
Ok, I realized that I've been asking the wrong question regarding scales all along. I just examined some fretboard charts of various scales (lydian, locrian, aeolian, dorian, phrygian, etc) and realized I know virtually every scale. And, it turns out, I've been using every scale within my shredding. So, for example, I know every scale I can use in the key of E. The problem I've tried to illustrate before, however, is that every single scale still seems to share the exact same notes. I can noodle all the way up and down the fret board with these various scales, but the notes are always the same. Am I making sense here? What I am saying is, I can come up with various arpeggios, note combinations, tricks, and whatever....but it's always the same notes. How do I break free from the notes in these scales? Do I write chord progressions underneath my soloing that defy the traditional progressions within any particular key? Basically, switching between scales within the same key still sounds the same to me, because each scale still utilizes the same notes.

Ultimately, I am not unhappy with my soloing ability. I would just like to expand on more ambient concepts. Any suggestions?