View post (Bebop scales)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/10/2003 11:03 pm
[u]Ab7 - A7[/u]

[Homer Simpson] Doh!! I don't know what i was thinking or how I got that confused. Thanks for noticing my mistake. :)

[u]1 last thing[/u]

I'm not sure about an augmented sixth acting like a 5/5 or 5/4, those sound like secondary dominants. II7 and I7, I don't see how either of those chords could be interpreted as a Aug 6th. Although these theories are based on where your going rather than where you stand and I'm sort a novice with Augmented Sixths. I would say neither, without some uncommon exception that I am unaware of.

As for the action of a Augmented 6th chord, they sound good when they resolve back to the dominant a half step down [bVI(+6) - V7] or the tonic in second inversion [bVI(+6) - I6/4]. My opinion but theoretically it sounds correct, considering how the aug 6 is supposed to move. As for the one that resolves from bVI to V in the harmonic minor, I'd say the German or Italian.

About an Augmented Sixth having the root being a b2. The French 6th can be the b2, because of it's intervallic pattern, which is major third, major second, major third. It will work in both the harmonic minor and major keys. The German and Italian 6th are commonly seen on the lowered submediant (b6), and sometimes on b2 but the French 6th is a better choice in my opinion. Or a Neapolitan w/o b5.

But anyways, best of luck with your book man.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 10-10-2003 at 06:25 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.