View post (Bebop scales)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/08/2003 9:40 pm
yeah me too. The practically of theory is what one should know. Like chris did say theory is a great way to converse ideas with another player. Theories are good to learn for technique values, like cadences and stuff like that. Because it gives you common interesting ideas, and sometimes the understanding of how to work through a problem. That's about it in my opinion. Everytime you come to an end of a tune and you have a V7 chord. If your start thinking theory like, "oh I have to go to I after that V7 chord for a cadence". Then I think you don't get the concept of music, go to something less expected like bVI or whatever you WANT TO HEAR. Of course I'm not saying to do that all the time, but not to think theoritical when writting music. Be expressive, doing something against the norm says alot more than going by theory ideas.

About the aug 6 chord, let's just let that one go. That talk took place months ago. Unless there something new to talk about then let's just let it go. No sense bringing it back otherwise. :)
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.