View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
10/08/2003 6:10 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
To offer a second view of the conclusion of this past debate:
At 1st you denied such a thing existed (aug.F, G,It 6th chords).

Yeah I didn't know it existed. That was before anyone told me what it was. You guys said they're were those 3 aug 6th chords and I explained that there was only one. In modern terms that is so I was confused. Yeah I did learn something there.

Then you concluded that it had no function in modern times (which we all agreed too).

Yeah we did but once I knew what it was and I explained that it was basically a dominant 7 chord, except each with a slight variation. How long after I explained that, did it take for us to come to a conclusion on that?

We were only supporting the fact that it is recognized in theory analysis of barouqe music and to deny its existence, wether relevant or not, would be dishonest.

I never denied existance after I understood the concept. I said I don't need it, I didn't try to change you guys' mind on that and I didn't proclaim it to everyone else it was useless. I did say that it did make sense before the period it was renamed and was legit.

My point in bring it up after you said "you taught me..." was that it sounds like a dominant 7 chord, and one doesn't need to name it 3 different ways to write music. The non-academic. That's what I was trying to teach you, or point out to you. I'm not trying to degrade your intelligence because I'm sure you knew about it beforehand. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.