Amp troubles

atodd
atodd
08/25/2003 9:45 am
I have an old Crate GT80DSP i bought used about 6 years ago. its a combo tube/solid state. I have a few problems with it. The first is the input keeps shorting, so I know i need to get the input replaced.

The second, and more important problem, is that whenever I started up the amp, it always took it a good 15-20 seconds to "power up" to full volume (get any sound). Now, it takes a good 5 minutes to power up on the tube setting and gets only half the normal volume, and the solid state setting has hardly any volume at all (very little sound). The amp has 2 channels, clean and distorted. The distorted is the channel in which the above things occur, while the clean channel gets no sounds whatsoever.

I know the amp needs to get looked at, but my main question really is what exactly is the matter with the thing, and how much i should expect to pay to have it fixed (including the input). I love the amp, and has been very reliable for me, but I wonder if its now time to face facts and get a new amp?. So my question is to fix (what components and how much) or should i just get a new one?

Thanks for the help.
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/25/2003 1:49 pm
I'd say the safe bet is to take it to a shop, let them diagnose the problem and give an estimate for repair, if the estimate doesn't line up with what you want to pay, then it's new amp time, the shop probably wouldn't charge too much, and unless the amp is a total basket case they might even take it in partial trade if you buy the new amp from them, I wouldn't hope for too much of discount though. As to what exactly is wrong with it, that's a tough question, but since you have said that it warms up slow and has low power after it warms up I would guess that part of the problem has to be the tube section, have you ever replaced the tube or tubes, I'm guessing it has 1 or 2, 12AX7 preamp tubes, if you have any friends with tube amps they may have a couple of spare 12AX7's that you could try out to see if it helps. I hope this helps, and keep us posted and let us know how things turn out................
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.