scales up and down the fretboard

spanky10940
spanky10940
08/21/2003 8:50 pm
Ok - I can play a few scales pretty reliably and comfortably but I'd like to be able to move them up and down the fretboard. From what I understand, most solos (or all solos) are created from moveable scales. I found a great page that shows different scales using the whole fretboard. The question is, when I'm playing them, can I just go up and down them to find what I want? How do i practice them so I can actually use what I'm practicing?

anyone - bueller - anyone?

thanks all!

"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 1
spanky10940
spanky10940
08/21/2003 8:51 pm
Oh - before I forget, here's the page that has the scales and chords and stuff.. I've posted it before but for those of you who haven't seen this - it's awesome!

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html

n-joy!
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 2
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
08/22/2003 1:30 am
Try improvising with those scales that you know. Do some things like bending one note of the scale up to the next, hammerons and pulloffs, come up with some licks from those scales and try to make solos out of them.
You could also record some chords in a key your pretty familiar with, and then play them back, playing some licks and fills over them based on the scale in that key.
Another way is to play the scales in different orientations, like here's an A minor pentatonic played a little different than normal;

(These are all triplets)

--------------------------------5-8-8--
--------------------------5-8-8--------
--------------------5-7-7--------------
--------------5-7-7--------------------
--------5-7-7--------------------------
--5-8-8--------------------------------

This is a pretty basic example from one of my old guitar books. Stuff like this gets you used to playing around scales and getting used to different grooves. Try making up your own and seeing what you get, then improvise with that.
Basically, you just need to play your guitar and see what happens. :)

And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 3
Ego
Ego
08/22/2003 7:13 pm
Mick Goodrick has a great book called Advancing Guitarist and he advocates literally playing up and down single strings and working on melodic/scale ideas that way against chords...it works wonders.

http://kronosonic.com
# 4
Number of the Beast
Number of the Beast
08/26/2003 12:58 am
I always memorize full neck scales one string at a time...after all, they're just a bunch of notes. Try soloing on the first string, getting a feel for that, then adding the second string and so on. As far as going up and down whenever you want, feel free to do so, it's the same notes only at a higher or lower pitch.
If I could be a solo...I think I'd be Eruption...
# 5
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
08/29/2003 3:50 pm
That look no hands site is pretty cool.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.