View post (The Grand Days)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/19/2003 7:37 pm
I think that’s way beyond interpretation. One, no matter how much he/she knows about the music, can never interpret it absolutely. I’m not saying it wouldn’t help because it would definitely, but that could be an overly obsessive way to play music. It may even be hindering if you go to play a piece and think, “oh how would Chopin play this piece.” Truth is, no one will ever be able to reproduce the piece like Chopin did. However you think Chopin would have played it is in truth how you would play it. All one can do is play it from their own heart, music is in the soul not the brain. My music teacher introduced me to this by playing two different versions of Bach’s “Toccata and Fugue in D minor”. Each one was different but both were equally expressive. The point is to put your heart into the music, rather than trying to put someone else’s. The works of Chopin were great enough to leave room for the performer’s own heart. And if you put your heart into playing a piece your subconscious will answer questions like how fast is the piece, how long do you hold a note, and how stressful you play the note. It’s all in the soul my friend. And trust me the second you try to think about this stuff while playing the piece will be the second you lose it. These “grand players” are able to see and go into the world the music lives in and just play it without question. It’s sort of like hypnosis, and someone posted something like it, “when you let go and you feel like the music is playing you”. That’s when you know you have escaped into the world of music.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.