View post (The Grand Days)

View thread

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
08/19/2003 7:29 am
I just recently saw a TV-documentation on the great pianists of this Century like Paderewsky, Moiseiwich, Rubinstein, Rachmaninov, etc.

It was very interresting and i thought to myself "What made those musicians so outstanding?". i browsed the net and eventually found some answers that i´d like to share for i think it can be applied for any instrument - therefore also for the guitar.

Critics occasionally compliment a pianist by saying that he plays in the grand style. Exactly what do they mean by that phrase? In the broadest sense, they mean a style of playing which penetrates deeper than the physical conquering of the piano. It concerns itself with the release of music. The "grand style" moved listeners through interpretation. If today's young pianist is to achieve similar results, he, too, must turn to interpretive values. So the next question is, how does one learn to interpret?
In the "grand" days of Anton Rubinstein, Rachmaninoff and Paderewski, it was impossible to learn musical meaning through recordings. Learning music meant digging deep into the score itself, training the inward hearing to grasp what is there and also what is not there. By concentrated and devoted thinking about music, the artist built himself a solid foundation. Any artist worth his salt thinks music far more than he practices. Practice divides the mind between music and the mechanics of managing hands and feet. Inward hearing has its roots in musical thought.

The problem facing the young pianist is not how to play faster and louder, but how to play music in moving and musicianly fashion. This he can accomplish by breaking away from a preoccupation with mechanics, and by concentrating earnestly, devotedly, independently upon musical thought- as was the habit in the "grand" days.

(excerpts taken from http://www.arbiterrecords.com)

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]