Clicky

Writing Music for Lyrics


abernathybenjaminallen
Registered User
Joined: 10/21/23
Posts: 4
abernathybenjaminallen
Registered User
Joined: 10/21/23
Posts: 4
04/12/2024 9:40 pm

I’ve been writing lyrics for a few weeks and I have a pretty good one now. But I’ve realized that I have not written music and I need help on how I can write music that fits with them. ( I was gonna write simple music as all my favorite bands have really simple guitar parts)


 


 


Thank You!


# 1
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
04/12/2024 11:10 pm

I'm not an instructor and this may not be correct but when I write a song it usually starts with a little jingle that I sing and then try to find the key on the guitar.


So I would start by just singing out the lyrics. Say the chorus. Try to find a note that seems to sounds good with what you are singing. There will be a note that predominantly fits. Let's say E sems to work pretty well. Try an E major chord and then an E minor chord. Which sounds right? That should work to establish your key. Then put the chords together and strum pattern.


That's what I do. But I'm not writing for Celine Dion, just stuff for a few of us to play along to.


One more pizza for the road!

# 2
jasperwilde09
Registered User
Joined: 02/16/24
Posts: 6
jasperwilde09
Registered User
Joined: 02/16/24
Posts: 6
09/10/2026 4:38 am

I’d probably keep it simple too. Try playing a few basic chord progressions while singing the lyrics and see which one naturally fits the melody you have in your head. basketball stars


edited
# 4
andreeoren
Registered User
Joined: 07/19/23
Posts: 13
andreeoren
Registered User
Joined: 07/19/23
Posts: 13
09/22/2026 7:34 am

I’d keep it simple at first. Try singing the lyrics and find a basic chord progression that fits the melody, then build the guitar part around that. Even just a few simple chords can sound really good if the rhythm and melody work together.  Snake Game


# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.