View post (Tips?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/24/2024 4:17 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: onyebuchi_onuke

I have no idea how to solo or play anything i havent heard before, any tips on just playing? (no idea how to word this properly)

Ive been playing for about a year or two and Im pretty solid at playing other people's stuff (learning songs by ear, fingerstyle, jazz (other peoples songs) n other stuff). But I still cant play anything original on the spot. If I try just playing, I never know what note to play, or when to play it. Any tips? Im trying to learn to play like maya delilah, and/or african style guitar.

(I also finished guitar tricks fundamentals and part of the funk tutorials a while ago)

What you are describing could be anything from improvisation to composition.  William gave you some excellent advice on concrete steps to try to accomplish this.

In general, it's like speaking a language.  You have to know the words, the general syntax (how the words go together to form sentences) & then have some idea of what you are trying to say.  

In technical terms of music this means being able to play chords, progressions, melodies (which it seems you do), but then you have to decide those raw materials in some order to some rhythm with an overall structure.

Most musicians start by copying other musicians music they enjoy.  Learning those songs, chords, riffs, melodies and them changing them around & making them your own.  Experiment with songs & parts of song you know.  Change them around, see what you like the sounds of, what works what doesn't. 

So start with a chord progression you know.  Apply a picking or strumming pattern you know.  Stick to a specific pattern of chords, in a specific rhythm.  Add some embellishments in a style you are trying to play.  If you tell me the style you are aiming for I can give you links to tutorials.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory