View post (how do we get past sucking?)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
02/09/2024 1:34 pm

Dabbling wont get you anywhere, if you want to get somewhere, you need to stay committed to learning how to get "there". But I have no idea as to where that may be for you. Sounds like you don't know yourself. 

Starting in Jan '19 I took things in very simple steps.

I wanted to learn how to play guitar. Ok, so I guess I should learn a song. So I learned a song.

Then I wanted to learn why the song was made up they way it was - why those chords? So I though I should learn how to write a song. I did. 

Then I wanted to be able to jam with a song I was listening to. Ok, what do I need? I need a key to let me know what I can use for chords and notes and if my timing is good (technique) it will sound ok.

Lately I decided I wanted to learn to play by ear. I hear something, then go find it on the fret board. Its not easy, but it is rewarding when you find a song on your own. 

Where will this end? Who knows. On top of the above I continue to work on technique - I can play a 3 note solo. There is more than 1 way to play a 3 note solo. So I study players like Hendrix and SRV. How did they hit it? Can I do something similar? 

You mention a formula, "learning" is the only one I am interested in. I am constantly chasing something down and learning more and more about not just the guitar, but music. Which is really where it's at, right? 

And oh, I practice. A lot. 

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!