Any suggestion on stopping rings from pulling off?

Cody_King
Cody_King
08/11/2003 6:47 am
When i pull off its hard not to hit the string below it, if i mute the string below the pull off dosent ring as nice, should i just get used to this and try to get the pull off to ring clearer or is there a better way to not hit the string, thanks for any advice.
# 1
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/11/2003 7:53 pm
I think you might be able to improve the coordination of your pulling off if you try this: pick a string with the pinky of your fretting hand while holding it with the first. Try this kind of thing with other fingers too. Alternate it with pull offs. Try up and down strokes. Your finger's will get very strong and well coordinated from this practice. That said, mine aren't as great as I'd like but then I rarely do this.
Another thing: have you tried pull offs which push the finger up the fretboard? Jennifer Batten does it this way I read, a bit unusual. Don't know if it's any good. In theory you could play trills faster by pushing up and then pulling down.
Satch has a really cool way of playing legato runs which looks particularly posy; legato with your fretting hand and put your picking hand behind your left to damp unwanted strings. This also has the beneficial effect of lowering the action of the strings. Looks incredibly posy so people will think you are God if you can play a good legato and do it this way.
Another thing you can do is to tie (for instance) a bandanna round your fretboard and play above it. I don't like this kind of thing because A)it's cheating and B)it deprives you of open strings.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.