Question??

stevenhooker1
Full Access
stevenhooker1
Full Access
01/26/2024 12:33 pm

Hey, I’m Steve and I’m a newbie really enjoy the whole music and learning journey, a bit late in life but better than never.

I spend most of my year living and working on my boat and a few months of the year travelling. My question is about travelling with a guitar and travel guitars..  

I only started learning guitar last year and not having my guitar while travelling for 3 months I found to be quite a setback in my learning experience which I don’t really want to endure again. Not to mention I just love tinkering with it especially considering the amount of camping we do.

I would love to take my old Takimini but I really don’t trust the airlines, not to mention that I doubt it would fare well travelling from the hot humid climate of the Caribbean to the cold of Europe and the extreme dry heat of Namibia to Australia etc…

I’ve done a lot of research on travel guitars, folding guitars, carbon fibre guitars, hard cases to check in and could really do with some advice and inspiration. 

Thanks….🙏 

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2024 5:13 pm

Travelling with acoustic instruments is problematic.  The best solution is to get a cheap guitar you won't mind losing & a decent travel case.

I only travel with electric guitars, which are much more robust.  A good gig bag will get it on a plane as a carry on.  And a good travel case for it is typically cheaper & more trustworthy. 

On a couple of trips I've taken apart a cheap Squier (remove strings, unbolt neck & body) & it fits in a regular sized suitcase.  Put in a small pedal board or a mini Katana & once I've restrung it I'm good to practice at the hotel room.  Sometimes a gig with a rented amp!

Hope that helps.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.