Clicky

Fundamentals Old versus New


Frankhellmuth
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/24
Posts: 1
Frankhellmuth
Full Access
Joined: 01/20/24
Posts: 1
01/23/2024 12:45 pm

New to Guitar tricks.  Got to learning fundamentals and there is a choice between old and new course fundamentals.  What is the difference or should I be doing both?


# 1
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
01/23/2024 3:56 pm

I did Lisa's 5 years ago, Anders is newer and I think from his advert, maybe a bit more stripped down. 


I'm sure both will get you up and running on the basics which is what they are meant to do. 


Lisa is still on the forum, but Anders is more active if you did have questions.


One more pizza for the road!

# 2
Diamond_Dave
Registered User
Joined: 01/06/24
Posts: 20
Diamond_Dave
Registered User
Joined: 01/06/24
Posts: 20
01/23/2024 6:52 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Frankhellmuth

New to Guitar tricks.  Got to learning fundamentals and there is a choice between old and new course fundamentals.  What is the difference or should I be doing both?

I went with Anders solely on the fact that he was holding an electric and I'm a rock and roll guy.


# 3
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
William MG
Full Access
Joined: 03/08/19
Posts: 2,019
01/23/2024 9:40 pm

Lisa uses electric in much of her lessons. Won't make any difference in the learning.


One more pizza for the road!

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Full Access
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,842
ChristopherSchlegel
Full Access
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,842
01/23/2024 10:58 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: Frankhellmuth

New to Guitar tricks.  Got to learning fundamentals and there is a choice between old and new course fundamentals.  What is the difference or should I be doing both?

All the Fundamentals courses cover the basic curriculum of beginner guitar skills & ideas.  There are small differences in the order of material or how each instructor paces or presents any given skill or idea.  And of course a student might have a more favorable reaction to the personality of one particular instructor. 


That's one reason GT has Fundamentals course by 3 different instructors.  Another reason is to update the production standards to keep up with technology (better cameras, lights, video & audio).  Mine was done 15 years ago.  Lisa's was about 9 years ago.  Anders is the most recent, done close to 5 years ago.


I only play electric in mine.  Lisa plays both acoustic & electric in hers.  Anders only plays acoustic in his.  Hope that helps!


 


Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

# 5
bekeanloinse
Registered User
Joined: 07/01/23
Posts: 9
bekeanloinse
Registered User
Joined: 07/01/23
Posts: 9
03/07/2025 3:47 am

The core material is the same, but each instructor presents it in a slightly different order and style. 


subway surfers


# 6
Brain2026
Registered User
Joined: 07/21/25
Posts: 1
Brain2026
Registered User
Joined: 07/21/25
Posts: 1
09/23/2026 7:29 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

All the Fundamentals courses cover the basic curriculum of beginner guitar skills & ideas.  There are small differences in the order of material or how each instructor paces or presents any given skill or idea.  And of course a student might have a more favorable reaction to the personality of one particular instructor. 


That's one reason GT has Fundamentals course by 3 different instructors.  Another reason is to update the production standards to keep up with technology (better cameras, lights, video & audio).  Mine was done 15 years ago.  Lisa's was about 9 years ago.  Anders is the most recent, done close to 5 years ago.


I only play electric in mine.  Lisa plays both acoustic & electric in hers.  Anders only plays acoustic in his.  Hope that helps!


 

I am sticking with your Fundamentals Courses.  I am currently in Chapter 5 of Fundamentals 1.  I like the way you present the material. I'm not worried about how advanced  the production value looks.  The information is what I'm most concerned with.  Your knowledge and talent Chris is impressive to say the least.


# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Full Access
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,842
ChristopherSchlegel
Full Access
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,842
09/25/2026 1:14 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: Brain2026

I am sticking with your Fundamentals Courses.  I am currently in Chapter 5 of Fundamentals 1.  I like the way you present the material. I'm not worried about how advanced  the production value looks.  The information is what I'm most concerned with.  Your knowledge and talent Chris is impressive to say the least.

Glad you are enjoying my courses.  When you're ready for it I have a whole catalog of material beyond the fundamentals. 


https://www.guitartricks.com/instructors/155014


Thanks for the compliment. I sincerely appreciate it.  Best of success with your guitar playing.  Keep practicing!


Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory

# 8
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 11/02/06
Posts: 4,084
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 11/02/06
Posts: 4,084
09/25/2026 9:28 pm

Hi all,


My Fundamentals Course was designed to help folks from total beginner - or, re-beginner - to self-taught intermediate players who want to fill in some of the gaps in what they have learned on their own. 


My course uses both acoustic and electric guitars, and focuses on the commonalities between the two.


As in, all the notes and chords and theory, etc., are the same on either kind of guitar. 


I am glad there are options at GT, so you can check out which instructor feels like the best fit for you.


Be well and have fun!  - Lisa


Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.