View post (Step by Step map for guitar learning)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/10/2024 1:25 pm
#7 Originally Posted by: jibran.shahid123

Dear Christopher, kindly excuse the tangent to the topic at hand, but is reading notation important if I'm just a hobbiest who wants to have fun and am more comfortable reading and learning through tab. Will it hinder my progress if I don't want to read standard notation? I see the fundamentals has both tab and standard notation and I really don't want to learn Every Good Boy Does Fine and Good Boys Do Fine Always as I used to play piano.

Thanks in advance for your response.

It depends on your goals.

You can get by with only learning & using tab.  Many guitarists (pro & hobbyist) do fine without reading standard notation.  The specific info missing from tab is the rhythm.  So as long as you can get the info from listening to the audio that's a possible workaround.

I always encourage students to at least understand notation.  Be able to look at it & understand what it is indicating.  You don't have to become a fluent sight reader.  That is certainly a higher level of time & effort!  But it can only benefit your overall musicianship to at least understand it & how it relates to what you play on the guitar.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory