View post (Step by Step map for guitar learning)

View thread

crimmunity
Full Access
crimmunity
Full Access
10/30/2023 9:05 am

That's not what timmy asked Scuba

I also have been looking for a comprehensive progression plan for guitar.  Web learning makes it almost certain that the student doesn't know what he doesn't know.  So students end up looking for lessons that look cool.

As an example say a student likes Autumn Leaves, played by a jazzer they came across.  Oh, 13th chords sound tasty!  So, chords... lemme find a lesson on chords... major chords?  boring... 7th chords?  they're not 13th chords...  aha Extended Harmony... blah blah, 11th chords, 13th chords... perfect!

So they go off and try and absorb the info within the Extended Harmony lessons

Trouble is, they haven't yet learned major chords, minor chords, augmented chords, diminished chords, 7th chords in all their flavours

They went straight to 13th chords, cos that is what they wanted to play.  But they will almost certainly have difficulty, hit the brick wall and sadly give up

Now how useful would it be to have a chart showing you all the subjects, and the best path to reach that subject?  Here each subject builds upon concepts taught in the previous subjects
Major scale
Major chords
Minor chords
7th chords
Extended chords

Another example would be sweep picking.  I have no idea what skills are a pre-requisite to sweep picking but I bet there are some.  Arpeggios may be in there?  Maybe some tapping?  Who knows?  Except the people who actually know and who actually can sweep pick?