View post (Is it over?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/01/2023 10:17 pm

As I see it, compared with the cost of pursuing many other other hobbies, interests or sports, annual online guitar tuition subscriptions be they learn to play novitiate, a compendium of the former combined with theory and more advanced structure, or song tutorials, they share in common that the cost would be considered reasonable to even cheap IMV. 

IME, and of course this will depend upon the age and individual's specific interest genre for you, over the course of the past six years I haven't found any single site which does or is going to offer it all in terms of song tutorials unless one's interest focus is very narrow, or beginner basic. And that's OK, and to be expected.

The way I look at it for example with Guitar Tricks, it is what it is. Inarguably I was disappointed for instance when they scrubbed a load of The Beatles songs with 'the great licence purge', but it wasn't the end of the world. As I had discovered as I grew, many of them weren't great authentic interpretations anyway compared with alternatives out there, and I had moved on. Ultimately nothing is keeping me here but myself, and when the time comes I determine GT has nothing further I wish to avail myself of, I'll move on.

In the interim...... 

For the past few years I've subbed to a couple of learning focussed sites with supporting song tutorials including Guitar Tricks, and bought specific modules from other style or genre lesson and song tutorial sites which cater to my more focussed specific interests. Whilst there are a host of utterly awful ones, there are also several superb tutorials/tutors who can be easily found on You Tube, which often in conjunction with links to TAB, notation and enhanced lessons offered for nominal cost on respective websites run by them, complete or round my annual guitar learning and tutorial package. All in all it, not only is it necessary to source what you want in terms of specific song tutorials elsewhere, but it's beneficial in that the process of exploring and exposing oneself to said variations and alternatives widens the perspective and musical vocabulary. 

That's the way I look at it. Overall it's all still very affordable when outlay is amortized over the year, particuarly when compared with the cost of individual lessons in times of yore, which were a necessity for the kind of progress we can now make with online tuition. Bottom line regarding worth to me? The modest annual outlay enhances my enjoyment and playing. 

Would it be the ultimate if a single online site, i.e. Guitar Tricks catered to my exact tailored personal requirements? Absolutely. But I'm a realist, and that's not.