View post (Is it over?)

View thread

aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/16/2023 10:47 pm

I've used other very popular, large, full featured guitar learning sites such as TrueFire, which currently has a collection of around 450 song lessons compared to 805 songs here. The teaching and the tabbed sheet music on TrueFire doesn't stack up to what you have access to here. For example, the instructors typically don't teach all of the individual guitar parts that make up a song. They just play the lead. Imagine Hotel California, with all of it's layered guitar parts, being taught as one really long solo guitar riff. As that song was taught on GT, (sadly this awesome song lesson was removed) users were treated to detailed instruction and comprehensive notation for all the guitar parts.

On TrueFire, you might get nothing but a list of chord names, sometimes just scribbled on a white board beside the instructor. The following "sheet music" is for the ukulele but I trust that it will illustrate my point well enough:

TrueFire Sheet Music

No measures, no tabs, no legato, no standard notation, no lyrics.... what's the point? Compare that with what you consistently have access to here on GT. Also, a fair number of TrueFire's song lessons are composed entirely of 4 or 5 open cowboy chords played exclusively with standard quarter note strumming. Songs like Jingle Bells and Yankee Doodle Dandy. Once you weed out these silly songs, along with those that don't provide comprehensive music notation, one is left with ~200 songs to choose from at TrueFire, many of which you have to buy! GT has over 800 free top-notch song tutorials.

So, count your blessings in regard to GT's song collection. You could do a lot worse. Don't get me wrong - I'm as disappointed as anyone that GT's song catalog doesn't include all of the songs that I want to learn to play. But I do realize that given the staggering number (millions) of available songs across an ever-expanding body of musical genres, that's a truly psychotic expectation. On the bright side, it has forced me to dive in and learn songs that I didn't even know I liked, and which I often end up playing a lot. For instance, I don't care much for AC/DC, but learning to play Back in Black is nonetheless a challenging blast.

Sascha

edited