View post (Encyclopedia of Awesome Tones)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/03/2003 6:47 am
hmmm...

- What makes it worthwhile to have Rotary Switch positions 2 [u]&[/u] 3?

- I predict some serious conflicts between the Rotary Switch and the 5-Way selector. Spend a little more time cross-checking the truth tables.

- Master Tone & Master Volume pots simply dictate the control settings that all of the signals pass through. This will [u]not[/u] ensure a constant volume or tone at the output, only that the Volume pot picks off the same fraction of the total signal presented to it, and that the Tone pot will apply the same roll-off to that total signal. Even using identical pickups in all three positions (which is probably not a good idea to begin with) there will be different output levels due to the different vibration amplitudes of the strings at different locations along their length.

- Unity Gain is just that - no gain, no attenuation. Such circuits are usually implemented as impedance-matching networks in critical RF or power applications. A guitar is neither of these. You describe it's action as if it was going to produce a constant output. That would require a variable-gain circuit that was configured to keep the output as close as possible to a preset level. These are commonly known as compressors.

- The tap-off to feed a clean, linear amplifier is sound practice (pun intended). This concept got a lot of discussion back when I was promoting the concept of using a 5 Watt amp both for practice and gigging.

- I often get frustrated with guitar players equipment choices, because, as a group, we are the most hide-bound, unprogressive, change-fearing bunch I've ever encountered! Having got that rant off my chest, I think you've missed the point of the 2 pickup, 2 Volume pot, 2 Tone pot system. This allows you to preset as many as three tone and volume levels that can be accessed via the pickup selector. Dead simple. No option confusion/paralysis.

- I've seen Rush live, when they were using racks full of midied effects and loop-samplers in an attempt to recreate their studio albums live. After the novelty of watching Alex, Geddy, and their sound crew tap-dancing on their controllers wore off, it became a distraction. The show reminded me of that scene in "The Wizard Of Oz" where Dorothy and her friends are being sternly told "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" Bleahkk!!

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons