View post (Encyclopedia of Awesome Tones)

View thread

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/03/2003 5:53 am
I've considered the Tone Zone, and I might choose the Tone Zone over the SD-2's, I haven't decided. I've heard ALOT of good things about the Tone Zone pickups, but i'm not sure if they will sound good with the guitar I'm going to have. the guitar will weigh inbetween 11 and 14 pounds (I've decided against a hollowbody).

I'm a fan of the wood Cocobolo. I think it has to do with my love for Jerry Garcia's guitars, i'm not sure. Take a look at any piece of Cocobolo though, looks so nice and natural and goood looking. That's just my personal opinion, though. Like I said, 11 to 14 pounds is my scale (I weighed the Les Paul I'm using, it weighs a surprising 8 pounds, even though its chambered), and i'm not afraid of the weight.

I'm getting mine done at a place called Moriarty Guitars (www.moriartyguitars.com ), Matt is a great guy, he can do my electronics layout with ease, and the guy works with some very nice woods, inlays too. He doesn't have posted some of the best ones he's made (I'm subscribed to another group that has pictures of some of his great pieces of art. This guy made a replica of Jerry's Tiger guitar that fooled 500 people on the internet, before telling them the truth, that he made the guitar himself.)
Once again, I admit I haven't gotten over the actual GUITARS that were used by jerry, I'm trying to find something with even more logic put into it. Most of the things in the above were on Jerry's Tiger/Rosebud, although I would have wanted these options regardless. There are certain things that weren't on any guitars that i know of (5 way rotary switch, better MIDI system, MIDI/Guitar signal bypass, etc), but I see the use for them, and will use them.

When I say $8,000, that means that it will cost between $5,000 and $8,000, but if i have the option between getting a great $5,000 guitar, and an amazing $8,000 guitar, i will dish out the extra 3 G's, because thats the kind of person I am.

Just checked out the Tone Zone, not sure if that would be my thing, plus the pickups wouldn't work with my UGB installed (UGB = Constant signal. Tone Zone = changing signal).

The basis of all of my extras on my custom guitar is the fact that "i HATE footcontrollers". Pony, you mentioned that I can get most of my extras as stompboxes, or footpedals, but I hold it true that the Less footcontrollers= the better.

that's why i have the MIDI Numeric Pad. It is very uncommon to have one, usually you have a footcontroller with banks, and its not mounted to the guitar itself. For me, putting it on the guitar means one less footcontroller. My ideas for foot control are the same as your ideas for guitar control (if that makes sense, i like simplicity with my feet, but I can work the detailed stuff out with my hands).
My goal is to eventually get it where the only controls I use with my feet is one "effect selector", with five options-

1.) Overdrive
2.) Distortion
3.) Delay
4.) Flange
5.) Wah
These would be On/Off switches, not channel switches or anything. This way, I could have Wah and Overdrive running together if i wished. I never told you about my Effects Signal Processor, that sends each effect to it alone, without going through a chain (no tone loss; The In and Out cables are both sent to the effect processor. The effect processor then has one Stereo Belden cable running to it, while the other Mono Belden cable runs to my amplifier. This has been done before, and is much more logical than your typical "Chained together" type of effects.
Using a tube amp, i can set the reverb myself, and usually have it at around 2 or so at all times (not much reverb).

Now, I really like the tone of the Super Distortion 2's, because they have that "mean, but intelligent" kind of tone. I'm not sure if you know what i mean, but It's that kind of tone where you literally respect the guitarist playing it because the tone makes you want to say "Yes! thats it!".

~ Incidents

[Edited by Incidents Happen on 08-03-2003 at 01:33 AM]