down picking speed

sdmw0626
Full Access
sdmw0626
Full Access
07/08/2023 7:35 pm

Ive been trying to learn Master of Puppets and ive gotten my picking speed up to around 170 but I cant seem to get any faster ive been stuck there for about 2 months. Is there anything in particular I can do to break through this barrier. 

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/09/2023 2:08 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: sdmw0626

Ive been trying to learn Master of Puppets and ive gotten my picking speed up to around 170 but I cant seem to get any faster ive been stuck there for about 2 months. Is there anything in particular I can do to break through this barrier. 

Relax.  The more tension in your body (fingers, hand, wrist, arm) the more you are fighting against speed.  You have to be loose enough to go fast.  This feels counter-intuitive.  Because anytime you are learning to do something new or fast you automatically tighten up!  And then the music is exciting & dramatic!  You tighten up!

So at first you have to make a conscious effort when you feel like you are getting tense, take a moment & relax.  The more you do it the more it will gradually become second nature.

Minimize picking motion.  All you need is enough to graze the string to sound the note, then stop.  Reverse course back just enough to clear the string and start over.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.